Wednesday, November 08, 2006

The curse of the underground

I've started another blog, What I Wrote. As well as being a homage to the second greatest double-act ever, it's a home for relatively long-format stuff that I've written but not blogged - articles for the radical press, columns for small-circulation magazines, position papers for now-defunct organisations, and various pieces that somebody should have published but nobody did. Not that I'm trying to put you off or anything. There's going to be some funny stuff in there too.

I've kicked it off with two pieces, one written in 1997 about why I hadn't just voted Labour and one from 1993 about the former Yugoslavia. I'll be updating it a couple of times a week - I've got what's technically known as a bunch of stuff to draw on - so stay tuned, or indeed subscribed.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Rob said...

Oh, go on, drop the other shoe: the SECOND greatest double act? I'm hoping you mean the Two Ronnies as #1, but maybe you had someone else in mind.

I was privileged to see Morecambe & Wise live on stage three times in the same show (it was the Ovaltine Show and my father worked for the sponsor). I remember being intrigued by what parts were ad-libbed and what parts were scripted: basically it was all scripted but, like jazz, if something off the wall suddenly occurred to one of them, in it went, and the other one responded. Not big changes, but they kept it alive. And, unlike some other comics I saw backstage, they were still very funny when not working.

18/11/06 00:38  
Blogger Phil said...

The Two Ronnies had some fine moments, but most of them were scripted by someone else (usually Spike Mullins or David Nobbs). Gerald Wiley had his moments, admittedly.

No, I was thinking of another Lancashire lad (plus friend), these guys.

18/11/06 23:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home